Bacon Stuffed Crust Pizza
Have you ever eaten a slice of pizza and thought, man there is something missing? Several years back, someone thought the same way, and added cheese into the crust of the pizza, making the crust more tempting once you finish all the tasty goodness. But lately I find just having cheese in the crust has become stale, boring, we need a new game in town. So I have created the bacon stuffed crust pizza. Thats right, bacon, tasty, delicious, crisp, bacon INSIDE the crust, with cheese of course. Its so simple to make too! Bacon inside the crust is truly a gamer’s dish, but even a dish any non-gamer in your family is sure to love. This recipe will be the Porkapolypse Edition, however you can add whatever toppings you desire.
- Fresh Pizza Dough – Store Bought or Make your own
- 2 lbs of Bacon – Center Cut preferred
- 1 Bag of String Cheese, Mozzarella, or use extra mozzarella
- 1 Jar Pizza Sauce, Cook’s choice
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 Large bag of Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Package or 1/2 lb of Pepperoni*
- 1 lb of Italian Sausage*
- ¼ lb Italian Dry Salami*
- Aluminum Foil
- Non-Stick spray
- 1 Large Cookie Sheet or Pizza Sheet
- 1-2 Frying pans
- Cooking Spatula, preferably with slots
- Paper Towel
- Pizza Cutter
- Rolling Pin
- Cutting Board or Counter Top for rolling pizza dough
- Small bowl
*please note pepperoni, sausage, dry salami can be substituted for any toppings you like
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place bacon in frying pan, crisp up, into strips, don’t let it curl up, then set aside on a plate covered in a paper towel (mmm…mound of bacon).
- Crumble up sausage in a pan, and cook until browned.
- Get pizza tray, or cookie sheet, cover in aluminum foil, spray with non-stick spray to make removing the pizza easier.
- Place a handful of flour on a clean countertop or large cutting board. Place pizza dough on flour and use rolling pin to rollout dough.
- Transfer rolled out dough onto cookie sheet, stretch into a circle.
- Along edges of pizza dough leaving about a 1/2 inch of dough on the outside, line string cheese and bacon, leave a portion of dough on the outside of the bacon and cheese.
- Roll edges of the dough over the bacon and string cheese, pinch the dough together to form a tight seal of the crust. If you happen to tear the dough, find extra pieces of dough and use it to “patch” it up as necessary, you want to keep all that gooey cheese inside the crust.
- Spread the dough around from the middle once again to regain the classic circular shape for the pizza. Be careful not to rip the middle area of the dough.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine together ⅓ cup of Olive Oil with minced garlic, Oregano and Basil.
- Brush pizza dough with olive oil mixture completely, covering the crust in the middle and exterior of the pie.
- Place pizza crust into the pre-heated oven to firm up, 7 minutes.
- Remove pizza dough from the oven and spread a layer of sauce over the interior of the pizza, the amount of sauce is based on personal preference, note the more sauce you use, the soggier the pizza can become, so be careful not to go overboard.
- Place a little shredded mozzarella cheese on top of sauce, this will act as the initial “glue” to hold on your toppings.
- Add any remaining bacon crumbled into bite size pieces, then add additional pizza toppings.
- Top off with a healthy (I use this term loosely) dose of mozzarella. Make sure the cheese will cover the toppings and help keep all the toppings in place. Another tip, if you have a lot of toppings, you may want to do a layer of toppings, small layer of cheese, layer of toppings, layer of cheese, and keep on alternating to create a more even distribution of cheese, and of course a much more savory pie. The important thing here is, don’t be cheap on the cheese. Now is not the time to watch your gamer figure, I mean come-on you are putting bacon inside the crust!
- Place pizza back into the oven for 10-15 minutes, until bottom of pizza has browned, and cheese on top is melted and bubbling.
Serve with a tasty beverage and enjoy!